An exciting opportunity has arisen to work for the UK’s leading sustainable building materials and construction solutions business. Their innovative products and solutions not only deliver the infrastructure needed to grow the UK economy today but also help to create a more sustainable built environment for the country’s long-term future.
This specific site is home to a large-scale quarrying operation with a series of jaw/cone/quaternary crushers, hoppers, conveyor systems and screen houses. Barrasford also has an onsite Asphalt Plant in situ with the Quarry. This hosts a 250t hot storage capacity with the ability to produce over 1000t per day. Both entities are undergoing a major CAPEX investment for state-of-the-art upgrades making this a high profile site.
Reporting to the Section Manager, the Mechanical Plant Fitter is part of the 24/7 engineering function at Barrasford Quarry and Asphalt Plant, Hexham, Northumberland. As a Mechanical Plant Fitter you will be responsible for:
- Responding to plant breakdowns (Quarry and Asphalt Plant) – ensuring assets are returned to production in a timely manner, and temporary fixes are followed up with a permanent solution
- Undertaking emergency breakdown repairs in a timely and efficient way on all production equipment
- Liaison in preventative maintenance planning and execution planned shutdowns
- Owning small scale projects and delivering them in a pragmatic and proactive manner and generally taking a cost conscious approach to maintenance activities
- Coordinating with contractors and suppliers when they are on site
- Participating in root cause analysis so repeat failures can be eliminated
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of the engineering function through your own observations and experience
- Working with risk assessments and method statements and contributing to the preparation and development of safe working methods for repair procedures
- Maintaining and promoting Health & Safety rules and regulations, following all company processes and procedures.
- Challenging unsafe conditions and practices, reporting these through company procedures
- Utilising the computerised maintenance management system and recording all work including fault descriptions, spares used and repairs carried out
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for the role of Mechanical Plant Fitter will be self-motivated, enthusiastic and able to work with minimal supervision. You should also demonstrate proven experience working within an Industrial, Factory or similar environment. Suitable candidates for the role of Mechanical Plant Fitter will:
- Have a recognised apprenticeship (preferably a higher-level standard)
- ONC/HNC (desirable but not essential)
- Have a strong, practical mechanical systems background, heavy industry preferred - conveyors, drive systems – motors, belts, pumps, gearboxes, crushers, vibratory screens
- Possess a fault finding ability to identify defects and recommend appropriate action
- Possess the ability to remove and fit bearings
- Be capable of undertaking emergency breakdown repairs in a timely and efficient manner on all production equipment
- Be able to do welding and Fabricating to a good standard
- Ability to assess SHE risks arising from work activities and control risks accordingly
- Knowledge of site-specific SHE procedures and Safe Working Practices
As well as a competitive salary package, our client offer all employees career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Overtime rates
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the employee reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
The position is to start ASAP and we have immediate interview slots available.
TR2 Recruitment Ltd acts as an Employment Agency for permanent workers and an Employment Business for temporary workers.